Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To those on stage

Last night I saw Ween at the Paramount.  And may I say, fucking wow!  And I'm not sure I even like them.  But wow, they are a talented bunch.

I've been going to concerts for over 20 years and would consider myself a veteran.  It's become quite a hobby for me.  I've always found people's hobbies to be interesting.  Of all of the infinite choices of things to do/see/eat/experience how did you arrive at that interest?  Additionally, I could drive myself crazy pining after all the interesting things I'd like to be doing, especially in a city like Seattle.

So why concerts?  Why have I spent so many thousands of dollars on a couple hours of entertainment with varying levels of obnoxious fellow guests, lines, waiting, standing and waiting and then waiting some more when it's all over and I've forgotten half (who am I kidding, way more than half) of the playlist?

  1. I am completely addicted to music.  There aren't more than 2 waking hours in my day that don't involve music.  Headphones on the walk to work, headphones at work, repeat, music during dinner and jukebox if I happen to hit a watering hole.
  2. Living history.  Seriously.  I'm tired of politics.  And museums don't really do it for me.  But watching the Eagles at the Gorge on their 30th anniversary tour with my father who was there for their first tour, well seriously, that's historic.  Or when Tom Petty announces an honorary band member of the Heartbreakers who's been with them since the 70's and Stevie Nicks floats across the stage, where else would I want to be?!
  3. If you can't be one, join them!  I was in choir for much of my primary education.  I LOVE to sing.  Sadly, my love for singing is not matched with talent.  Plus, I would hate to be famous.  But oh how I love to sing along with those beautiful and talented voices.  I will never forget the Summer Nights on the Pier with my sister and the Indigo Girls.  As the sun sets the crowd matches the volume of the songbirds on stage and we all finish the song together.  They sigh and say that it was the best crowd singing they'd ever heard.
  4. Inspiration meets lost opportunity.  You would never know it, and I have no evidence it exists.  But the writing I could do to "cover" these concerts would surely be my best work.  If only I'd had paper, or taken the time to stop singing along and record some thoughts on the symbolism, set list and scenery.  But then I'd miss that drum solo...
  5. People watching.  Hello!  So many lesbian make outs at Lilith Fair!  The most ridiculous parrot head costumes that you'll see in a couple hours on the Parrot Head fan cam on the screen behind Jimmy Buffett.  The people too drunk to sing and too drunk to stop.  And for Ween in particular, the most ridiculous hippy/hipster dancing you can imagine.
  6. Spending quality time with a life partner.  I have to admit, I don't really like much of Dave Matthews and Ben Harper's new music.  And sometimes I have to take a couple months or years of sabbatical from them.  But in the end, I always return to their sides.  Some songs, I can tell you for certain, will be in my life forever.  No one can take Live at Luther College away from me.  No one except for me knows who I'm longing for and mourning the loss of when "Ghost" crosses the playlist, but I'd like to think the Indigo Girls are right there with me.  So even though I've seen G. Love half a dozen times, I'm still going to show up to reconnect and spend some quality time with him before he heads to Fargo (seriously, who goes from Boise to Fargo and skips Seattle?!).
  7. Dance, dance revolution.  Seriously, when else do you spend 3 straight hours dancing and singing?  Some would say at the club I suppose.  But if you know me at all you know how agitated I get waiting in line and paying to go to a glorified bar.  Not going to happen.  Plus, chances are, you're with likeminded people at the concert who are also in love, or at least interested in courting the artist on stage.  So I can jump up and down at a rock concert, sway at a slow jams show and get my groove on at hip hop shows.  And luckily, most people have their eyes on the stage so I can convince myself that I'm mostly being ignored...thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment